Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Adventures in the mud...........

Saturday I was a good girl and washed the truck for my hubby... However, today was Release Time and we decided that the van would not make it through the roads. We had had a full day of rain and then a night of snow.....Now it was thawing. That meant that the roads were pure mud.....
As we headed out -- each in a 4-wheel drive truck.... we knew that things would be bad on the way out at noon....but worse at 3:30 when we came home. At this spot the water was just starting over the road as we headed for church. We made it in fine shape but one spot had water rushing over the road. What would that one be like later????
The kids thought it was great....girls in one truck and boys in the other. The girls were having a blast waving at the boys... "can they see us....are these windows tinted....hurry up - go faster -- catch up with them".
Our lessons went good. The 5-6th graders remain our favorite group. (Gary says .....what happened to the kindergartners??) They have just about all learned Psalm 121. I made a picture book... (ask Glenda about it --- I got the idea from her mom)... so that they have a visual of each verse. Last week we gave each one a little booklet of the Psalm for them to work on. I think you can imagine how great it is to hear kids recite that Psalm without any help from us.
Well, by 3:30 we were ready to head back home. It seemed like some of the mud was drying up..... but the spot where the water was rushing over the road had become a pretty good (bad) washout. An orange flag had been posted....but we made it through OK....glad we didn't have the car!! The next picture is of the same spot as the second picture. Now water was fully over the road - but no washout there.

We had about 2 miles to go when I took this picture and the worst was now over. For family and those who have been out here. This is in front of the Notebooms place.....l mile east and l mile north of us. The picture below doesn't seem to show the mud as having been very bad.....maybe it was because there was enough water with the mud to wash it off a bit. Tomorrow is another day to get out. We can see more orange flags on the road that we take to go to town. Wonder how big that washout is............???
We will be spending tomorrow in Valentine at my cousins Bull Sale. It's a big event and should prove to be very interesting.
Hope you enjoyed our adventure in the mud.
:-) Gary and Barb




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know you are a good girl Barb! Washing the truck as an act of kindness, good for you! Those mud pictures - yuck! I think it is worse than driving in snow, what do you think? I've been away from your web site, so I think I'm caught up again now on things going on. Thanks as always for keeping us updated. Praying that spring will be beautiful when it finally decides to stay and the mud finally goes away!

Anonymous said...

Those wonderful roads! :) Gotta admit that I miss them! Clayton wanted you to know that our road to church was bad too...."but not that bad! YUCK!"