Monday, July 16, 2012

Day ONE of Prairie Light Youth Camp

 Today was the day for the Monkey Bridge ---- here we have Gabe, John and Gary getting it ready.
 We finally talked Taleah into walking the bridge.  Not everyone did it.   Some were just too scared and I think others were maybe just not in the participation mood.  Others did it a couple of times. And yes we did have a few feet slip off - but no one was injured.
 Here is Gabe - one of our helpers from Michigan - Overisel Reformed.  He's doing a great job with the kids!  While we were having the Bible Lesson - Gabe saw a "need" - the need to separate two of the "rascals" - and he smoothly stepped in and did the job.  THANKS GABE!!!
 This game was somewhat of a flop ---- not enough ice cubes...but we got them cooled off anyway.  When we got home this afternoon  - the temp was 106 degrees.  And we were outside all day - except for the Bible Lesson.
 We then got the "Trust Fall" going.  That is a scary thing to do.  You have to fall backwards into the waiting arms of the "spotters".  We were thrilled that some of the kids did it.  And I know that when they look back it will be a meaningful experience...... it was for me(when I did it - a different year) and so I know it will be for them ...........especially because they were successful!!!
 Clayton wasn't going to do it -  until his Uncles Mark and Tyler (those two in the foreground) showed up - then he had someone he REALLY trusted!!!  He did great.
 The kids LOVED this big Medicine Ball.....we played this for a long time.
We went into the church basement for our Bible Lesson.  I think we were all so hot that we heated the room up  to the point of being miserable down there in the AC!!!!  But the kids really listened good.  We are doing the story of Joseph all week.

We had a total of 15 kids in our group today.  We know that we could get more tomorrow.  So - thank you !!!!   for all the prayers.    I think the rest of the camp ( the younger groups) were all doing well also.

Gary, Barb, Sue, John, Margo and Gabe

No comments: