Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Halloween fun at JDC

We had our 9th Annual Halloween party at the Detention Center tonight.  We made pizza ---- oh  - there are only 3 kids at JDC and the girl hasn't come to any of our meetings and we couldn't talk her into coming  - even to make pizza.   So all we had was two boys - Diego and Tajhon.  But we sure had a lot of fun!!

First we had a short lesson from Psalm 56:3 - "When I am afraid I will trust in you....." Thank you Julie!!  Then out to the gym and put our 4 pizza's together (should have only made 3 -- but had 4 dough ready).  Most of the kids that are ever in JDC have never made their own pizza --- so this is a new experience for them AND a fun one.   Some really get  into it and put lots of toppings on and others just the "safe" stuff -- sausage and pepperoni.  Diego had asked for bacon and so I made sure I had a nice supply of bacon pieces....well Julie was also looking forward to putting bacon on our pizza -  but it was all gone -- RATS!  Diego DID share his pizza.

I am always the one that has to go to the kitchen to get the pizza's baked -- so I miss out everytime!! on the games --- the fun part.    Tonight we had the famous chariot races, 2 liter on a rope (gets twirled round and round above Gary's head and the kids have to jump it as it comes around), the hula-hoop lift (my name for it - some of you have tried it)... and then balloons on a string to pop (on ankles), and walking stilts.    I hear there were a couple of accidents during the chariot  races but no trips to the ER. 

We then ate pizza and Sprinkle bars (request from Diego -- yes, he's been there before).  Everyone was stuffed and we had leftovers for the girl.     Then it was time to divvy up the candy.  Gotta work for it.     We put an empty water bottle on the gym floor --- two teams  - Pastor Mark and Julie against Diego and Tajhon.  Gotta knock down the bottle with a tennis ball -- if you knock it down you "get a candy" -- if you DON'T knock it down --- gotta "give up" a candy.  Play until someone was out of the candy they started with.  What a hoot!!!  LOTS of give and take!!  Then we gave them each a bag of the candy.  Everyone had a good time -- even me!!

As Julie said --- even if there were only two boys -- they need something different to do and have some fun.  I think we were successful in that tonight. 

Release Time tomorrow --- our 4th time with the kids.  Things are going pretty good.  We sure do appreciate your prayers!!!

Rain tonight on the way home and that could turn into snow during the night.   Winter will be here soon enough!
Gary and Barb

No comments: