Anyway ---- had to come up with things for these boys to do. They had all been watching "Forged in Fire" on TV and Brennan had already put those "learning sessions" to use......so they set to work. Made beautiful knives --- but "don't tell mom and dad --- we want to surprise them". So .... the boys are back home and mom and dad have seen them --- so we can now share it with all of you.
First, you have to know what they made them of..............the springs that are part of the struts on our car!! They didn't have a forge -- so they used up Gary's Acetylene tanks...... and THEN they made a forge. Too expensive to continue with the tanks!!!!
That little tube standing up in the background is where they "quenched" the knives - in oil. I missed lots of pictures ---- I guess Gary had fire coming up around his arm when he quenched his knife.
There was lots of grinding....... I missed all the hammering on the anvil. Sounds like they were all 3 beating on it.
This photo shows it all --- what the knives were made of...... the sheaths they each made, a belt for Brennan so he could strap his knife on and Brennan's knife (on top) that started it all
Here you have the mean, tough look ........ they are ready to go on to competition - well not just yet!!
But this one shows you what they were really thinking...... pretty proud of them and they had good reason to be proud.!!!
I even got a new kitchen paring knife out of the deal....And you can see close up the nice looking sheaths they made......Brennan's....Gary's ...... Colton's.....and then the paring knife....which, by the way, works like a charm!!
I think Gary is in the process of making another paring knife because he isn't happy with the handle on this one. He's going to make the next handle out of a plastic -- so I can put it in the dish water more without making the handle go bad. YUP --- it's in the vise right now letting the handle dry.
There was other fun to be had with the boys.....moving cattle for Dan and Deon......practicing with their slingshots.......playing cards.....prairie dog hunting.....eating------ Oh! did I tell you how those boys can eat?!?!?! We had a great time and lots of memories were made. When we have these times with the boys.....we are kinda glad they are home schooled!!! .......and they are too!!!
Gary and Barb
No comments:
Post a Comment