Thursday, August 1, 2013

Aunt Melva passed away --- what special memories!!!!

A special Aunt!!!  That's all I can say.  She was so many things.  My memories go way, way back to when we lived here in South Dakota.  I remember Aunt Melva bringing me some Orange Crush....just for me!!!  I had a kidney infection and had to drink and drink -- that was her way --- always giving in some way.  I also remember playing at the "Beck place"......playing dress up with Robbi --- and those red high heels - I can still see them -- I thought they were the most wonderful shoes around.   :)  And then Aunt Melva patching up my head when I got klunked by a baseball bat coming through the opening in the door (at the Beck place).  Was that you Randy?!??!

Then there's all those times that we came out here for a vacation and stayed at her place - or close by.  She always had the welcome mat out for us.  And the meals were --- amazing!!  She was some cook!!!!!   OH and then there's the time that Linda and I came out........  Linda wanted to go to Soldier Woman (a gift shop with Native "souvenirs".  So we headed out for Mission.   On the way I ran over a large snake.............  Linda found a $40 vase --- I found nothing....to much of a cheap skate I guess.  But as I was driving home I decided "that snake - if it's dead in the road  -- that will be my souvenir!!!.   It was dead in the road.   I loaded it up and took it to Aunt Melva's.   "Do you have a knife I could use".   "Well, yes." But she sure wasn't going to give me any help!!!  However,   guess what......

she just couldn't stand it --- she finally came out and grabbed ahold.....well - actually she just squirted the water.  But she was there!!!!   :)  Love Her!!!!!    Oh! --- she sent me home with that knife.... "don't want to see it in my kitchen again".

Prairie Light Youth Camp was very dear to Aunt Melva's heart.  I know she kept Prairie Light and all of it's working in her prayers until the end.  She was our cook for several years.  That's when (Gary would say) the food was "fantastic".....mashed potatoes, gravy......
The 7th and 8th grade group decorated an apron and gave them to our cooks that year.   And yes!!!  She was the Best of the Best!!!!

Aunt Melva had a stroke in 2007 at Thanksgiving time and was moved to a nursing home in Sioux Falls. Gary and I had the privilege of living in her home when we moved here in 2008.  What a beautiful place.  The location was grand ---- gorgeous sunsets almost every evening.....so much more. 

We thank and praise God for giving her to us. She will always have a special place in our hearts.

Gary and Barb

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved her cooking, her smile and she would never hold back how she felt. There was a huge group hug in heaven i'm sure!! Grandma Verduin, Aunt Melva and Geraldine Tenant....Three of my favorite people :) All were such blessings!

George and Jodi said...

Thank you for this beautiful blog post! Grandma Bob was such a special person to me--I love hearing other people's memories of her and how special she was to them too. I can only imagine that amazing "Lakeview reunion" going on in Heaven!