Tuesday, May 3, 2016

An Adventure????

Well --- if it's not considered an adventure --- it certainly was something new for me.

I made the meals at Lakeview School today.  The Cook --- Janet Kady  -- needs one day off every other week.  Her husband has some medical needs and she would like to be able to go with him on that day --- on his trip to the hospital.    She called me the other day to ask if I would consider subing for her.  The gal who has been helping out isn't always available........so I said I would give it a try.

It meant that I had to go to Mission to the school Administration Building for a drug test and have my fingerprints taken.  Nothing real difficult....however, I did have to have proof that I graduated from High School.  I did NOT have anything like that in my possession.  One call to Zeeland High School and it was taken car of.  WOW they keep records for a good long time.... :)

I went to "observe" the other day........it had been raining and then it turned to snow.....and that meant the roads were MUD!!!  So - would you believe --- they sent the kids home early --- 10:00 ---- on the day I had come to watch how things went.   So that meant I would go again to "observe".

Janet promised me an easy day.     And today was a pretty easy day.   Breakfast couldn't have been any easier.......packaged cold cereal, a granola bar, a juice box and applesauce.  All I had to do was put it on the counter and get the milk out.      Lunch was a little more involved -- but proved to be pretty easy also.  It was creamed chicken on mashed potatoes, green beans, dinner roll and applesauce (again).   I NEVER make instant mashed potatoes --- but they turned out as good as those things can.

I think I did OK --- anyway all  the food disappeared and those who came for seconds were all satisfied........wiped the pans as clean as we could to get the last drops of food.   It's nice to see kids eating and wanting more.

Then it was clean up time and at 2:30 I delivered the bananas to the rooms for a snack and headed home.

I might be asked one more time this year and then school will be finished.   It was fun to see the Release Time kids and some who have stopped coming (for whatever reason)  in the school setting.   And it was fun to see the surprise on their faces when it was me behind the counter rather than Janet.

We've had a week of raining weather but today was a gorgeous spring day and they are promising that for the remainder of the week.  Tonight is the Alcohol Recovery Meeting in Mission,   tomorrow night will be at the Detention Center, Thursday we will have the 3rd and 4th graders for Release Time and then Friday is branding at the VanderWeys.   A busy week but looking forward to all of it.
Gary and Barb

No comments: