Thursday, August 1, 2013

Hail storm of July 30, 2013

The weather bureau told us we had a chance for thunderstorms all this week.  And we have seen them ---- On Tuesday evening we watched the radar on AccuWeather.com -- didn't look too bad for us -- looked like it would miss us.   But then I walked outside and took a good look at the clouds that were coming.  I went back in the house and told Gary that I thought it would be a good idea to put the car and truck inside.  So I went with the car to the garage and Gary went with the truck to the barn.  Then I went to meet him by the greenhouse --- hopefully to cover that with the tarp.  Well, as I was checking in on the chickens -- I heard a bang and then another bang.  Gary was in the barn - so I figured it was him.   He says he thought it was the "dumb cats" knocking something down.  It was the hail just beginning.  Gary came out to the chicken coop and I said "let's cover the greenhouse quick."   About that time the hail started coming a little faster and they were rather large --- not something we would want to get hit in the head with.   So we waited in the dog house / chicken coop (they share it).   At times we couldn't see the barn  - it was raining so hard.  The noise from the hail in that small, tin roof building was deafening --- we plugged our ears. The winds started out coming from the north west -- but then we noticed a complete turnaround --- coming from the east.  Oh boy  - I thought ---- is the hail going to come back?!?!?!   When that wind came out of the east  - I remembered that I had the bedroom window wide open.....on the east side of the house.   So -- hail was done --- I headed for the house and Gary headed for the barn......He could see that the window in his work shop was knocked completely out.  The rest is history --- and the pictures tell the story.

 Our greenhouse is pretty much done for this year.  We will have to purchase new plastic.  The carrots and potatoes that are still in the ground will be just fine.
 All three of the windows in Grandpa's house were broken "in"..... The siding will have to be replaced.
The glass went everywhere in the house ---- And, of course the rain came in.......  We took the rugs out to the garage and cleaned up the best we could.   But after sweeping and vacuuming  -- I can still see sparkling pieces of glass in the cracks of the floor.  And can you ever get it all out of the carpet?!?!
 And then - our garden --- I had just put "apples" on my grocery list so that I could can my first ever red cabbage. My sister Linda had just given me her recipe that we think is just the best tasting cabbage.
 This used to be my pickle patch -- with dill all around the outside.....it is no more.!!  We also had 4 green cabbage plants that were just starting to make heads.
 This is our back yard as I have started the clean up process.   The trees lost a LOT of.........
twigs and leaves and such!!!
The workshop window --- 
 Some left over hail -- after all the rain fell on it .....still pretty big stuff!!
 Our spruce trees lost at least one years growth..... And our shed has holes in the side and in the top.
 The North side of our trailer ---- the outside windows were broken but not the inside pane.  Thank you Lord!!!And below is my "used to be flower garden".... what a mess!!!




This is the river that ran through our back yard.  Some said we had gotten 4 inches of rain  - in ???? 20 -30 minutes. 
This is a quick shot of the Rosebud Dam --- don't quite understand what happened.......There was water covering the road and they evacuated "the Valley" people.  But when we drove past ---- the water was WAY down as you can see -- but the road - the dam  - is still in tact.

Our neighbor lost hundreds and hundreds of pheasants......windows in his lodge and windows in his home.  

Another neighbor lost his brand new irrigation system that was still in the set up stage.....twisted and tossed in the wind.

But we have this: John 16:33  In this world you will have troubles, but take heart! I have overcome the world.



We give thanks to God for His faithfulness in all things!!
Gary and Barb

1 comment:

John & Gloria said...

Wow !!! Sorry to hear about all the damage .... very thankful you are okay ! Just checked your blog... been kind of busy lately so didn't hear about the storm till now . Hope everything has is back to normal and things are starting to be repaired. Those were some big holes in the siding !!