Tonight was our JDC (Juvenile Detention
Center) night. We have been doing a Halloween Party for several
years....maybe every year since we started going there---2008. Well,
tonight was our night to party :) :)
We started the evening with a Bible
lesson like always. Julie did a wonderful job using the Wordless
Book to share the Salvation Story with the group......which consisted
of 4 girls and 4 boys. One gal had come in with red eyes.....we could
see she had been crying. I think it might have been a phone call
that went sour....because they have that time just before we come on
Wednesdays. As we were singing some songs --- Julie went out with
her to just see what she could do to help. I believe Julie has this
gals little brother in one of her classes at school....so there is a
connection there.
After we were done in the “Barney
Room” ---where we meet for our Bible Lessons.....we all headed for
the gym. We started with a group activity so we could be assured
that everyone was involved. This was the Balloon Stomp....boy were
those balloons hard to pop. Everyone got into it and once their
balloon was popped – they still stood around and watched the rest
of the “stompers”.
Every game was full of laughs!!!!
Sometimes I laughed so hard it hurt. :) I think I don't have room
in this blog --- or the time to write all the games' ins and
outs.....so I might just let your imagination run wild here. But if
you want to know more about one of them --- let me know and I will
share all the “stuff” about them.
We played: Chariot races, Carrot
Drop, Balloon Stomp, Beach Ball Volleyball (until the beach ball
burst), Animal Bird Fish, Trash Can Game, and Table Top. EVERYONE
had a blast. If you've never had Chariot races on carpet samples ---
you've never had a real chariot race. Some drivers ended up OFF the
chariot but hung on for dear life to the end.....others like Jymie (a
girl we thought wouldn't probably participate) took off like a
stallion and pulled her little driver to victory every time.
We ended our evening with Rootbeer
Floats. One gal had been there on Halloween before when we made
pizza – so “why aren't we making pizza, Barb?” These kids
were wonderful and we told them so.....they were the BEST
participating group we have EVER had. They said “please” and
“thank you” and one asked if we had to take care of the
chairs.....when I said “yes and they could hang them up”.....He
and the other boys got right to it.
After they were done with the floats
they wanted to sing some more. So we did. I said “we can't stay
all night”....and one gal said “I wish you could”. Another
comment was “this almost made me forget I was in JDC”. Even one
of the officers came and grabbed a song sheet when we sang “Here I
am to Worship”.
So if you don't think we came home
smiling – you are wrong. We still start to smile and grin when we
think of the night...... I think the kids are still thinking about it
too as they lay on their beds.
Thank you, Lord, for allowing us this
fun time with a great bunch of kids. Thank you, Lord, for Julie and
Andee who come along side us and help. Thank you, Lord, for the
Detention Center being so warm and friendly to us....allowing us the
freedoms we have there to do an event like this. Thank you, Lord,
for the opportunities you give us. Thank you, Lord, for your love
for these young people. And thank you, Lord, for all the friends
reading this and praying for us.
Gary and Barb
1 comment:
And thank you, Lord, for putting this work in Gary and Barb's hearts. It is so special.
Post a Comment